Don’t you just hate it when you get all excited about a makeup product, but then find that it costs major $$$?
It’s such a major let down, right!?
That happened to me the other day when I was this close to buying this makeup spray, only to find out it was made mostly of tea. Actually – water, essential oils, preservatives, glycerin, and tea.
Now I’m not hating on more expensive makeup because let’s face it, I love all kinds of makeup. 🙂 But I do believe there are some products you can save and splurge on. AND there are also products I think you can switch out for green (all natural) ones.
In this case, I knew I could make my own version of a tea makeup spray. Glycerin is found in almost all makeup setting sprays, and plant-derived glycerin is really easy to find. It’s basically a common cosmetic ingredient used to soften and soothe the skin. It also has raving reviews on Amazon and tons of people use it in their own DIY makeup sprays.
After doing some research on tea, I quickly found out that because green tea has a ton of antioxidants, it protects your skin from free radicals (which causes wrinkles) and helps soothe acne-induced inflammation (something I need major help with). So I whipped up my first batch of my DIY Green Tea Acne Makeup Setting Spray and have been using it before and after applying makeup. I’ve been really into face mists lately since I find it really refreshes my skin after a long day and helps to lock in my makeup.
All in all, this makeup spray cost me ~$3 a bottle. YES.
Whether you want to save money or watch the ingredients in your makeup products, this DIY Green Tea Acne Makeup Setting Spray is worth trying!
DIY Green Tea Acne Makeup Setting Spray
- 2 oz empty spray bottle
- 1 oz of cold water
- 1/2 cup of hot water
- 2 Lipton Specialty Green Tea bags (save $1 at Safeway here)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of vegetable glycerin (I used 1 tsp for my combination dry skin)
- 4 – 6 drops of an essential oil or facial oil of your choice (I chose argan oil & Vitamin C oil)
- Begin warming up your hot water.
- In the meantime, pour 1 oz of cold water into an empty spray bottle.
- Once hot water is ready, place 2 Lipton Specialty Green Tea bags and steep for 5 minutes. Let green tea cool.
- Pour ~1 oz of cooled green tea in your empty spray bottle.
- Add the vegetable glycerin.
- Add your essential oil or facial oil.
- Mix well.
- Shake before use. Apply before and after makeup application and also to refresh makeup throughout the day.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
There are tons of variations on DIY face mists (i.e. witch hazel for acne, rosewater for dry skin, etc), so have fun with it and cater it your skin’s needs. PLUS, for those who are sensitive to certain ingredients, you’ll know what’s in your setting spray without any guesswork.
This probably took me less than 10 minutes to make and saved me almost $30. If you’re thinking about making this at home, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Twitter and you can even save more when you buy Lipton Specialty Green Tea at Safeway by visiting this link here (valid 3/29-4/18/17).